Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Diagnostic Essay




“With great power comes great responsibility,” words spoken by Spiderman, a great superhero of the Marvel comics, words which should kept in mind with having the superpower of mind reading. If I had to choose my superpower it would be mind reading, it’s not as world saving as if I could produce 6 course meals by sneezing, but I would want to be able to read peoples thoughts. If I had the power to read peoples minds, I would be able to tear down censorship and avoid lying.



A pet peeve of mine is censorship; Like when people won’t tell you what they’re thinking or avoiding questions, but mind reading can prevent all of that. If I did have the superpower, I defiantly would want to be around a lot of people, well maybe not too many because I’m sure I would get a headache. But enough so I could read a lot of peoples thoughts, that I wanted to. With all super powers there comes that one down fall, more than likely I would get annoyed with being able to read peoples mind, like if I walked past a group of hormonal high school boys. There are some thoughts or ideas that should be left unread or unspoken and with my luck I would stumble onto them.



However having the power to read peoples’ thoughts would look great on a resume to be a lawyer. “Did you go to law school?” “No, but I can read peoples minds”. I would be able to get a lot of job opportunities, like crime investigator, lawyer or even go on jeopardy. I could read off the other people’s answers. I never said I would do extreme good with the super powers but at least I would benefit from them. I could be a talk show host, where women or men come and ask me questions about their significant other’s like “Cheaters Extreme Edition”. “Is my boyfriend cheating on me?” “Why yes he is, with your best friend!” So I believe that people can benefit from my power as well, maybe not in the best way but at least the truth will be out there.



I would enjoy this power a lot, or at least appreciate it. I loathe being lied to or something being kept from me with a passion of a thousand burning suns. “The truth hurts”, but at least it would be good to know rather than hiding something. I remember when I was about 6 and I was talking to my mom about her divorce with my dad. I made the comment “but if you never met dad, you wouldn’t have had me”. I wish I did have the power to read minds then, because then I would have known the silence that followed that comment, actually meant “sorry, you’re adopted, he’s not your dad”. But being able to read minds at that age would be devastating, being five years old and knowing that your parents are lying about a fat man in a red suit going down your chimney on Christmas.



I would really appreciate having the power to read minds and I would want that as my super power if I ever did have the choice. Maybe I wouldn’t use it like Spiderman used his power but at least I wouldn’t have to worry about censorship. I could actually find a job with the recession even if it was a talk show host that ruined the lives of couples. It would be a great superpower even if I’m using it for my own selfish reasons of avoiding lies or helping others with their lives own.

1 comment:

  1. Not sure I get the connection to the cartoon, though the cartoon is very, very funny.

    ReplyDelete